OverviewSurround yourself with luxury when you stay in this memorable beachfront home.
Please note that there is construction taking place next to the homes and noise may be heard during the day. Please inquire with a Villa Specialist for more information.
Every room of this house is a wonderful experience—it will be a delight to discover all the intricate details and artwork brought from different parts of the world that blend together in the perfect balance of casual elegance.
Uniquely designed by the architectural team of Abraham Valenzuela and Xyanna Bateau, Casa Sonrisa expertly weaves together indoor and outdoor living areas. All four bedrooms, each with a private bath, are separated by courtyards and fountains. Wherever you are in this home you will feel the ocean breeze, hear the sound of water, and view where the jungle meets the Ocean.
Step through the carved wooden doors of Casa Sonrisa and find yourself in a fountain courtyard equipped with an outdoor kitchen, a great spot for casual dining that will bring families together for a Friday night BBQ! A few steps further and you are in the loggia overlooking the infinity pool with amazing views of the ocean and the gardens of Las Catalinas. Continue to find a guest suite on the main level of the home, a rival for the master, with a king-size bed and a spacious bathroom with mosaic floors.
The upper level has the kids’ suite with two single beds and a touch of fun. The bathroom mirror is from Africa, carved with fish, lizards, and birds, in keeping with the nature theme of this beautiful home.
Across the breezeway from there, is the master suite. It will not disappoint! It has a king-size canopy bed, a large terrace full of views you will want to invite others up to share with you, and a bathroom adorned with carved stone panels from India.
Sleep with the windows open. Feel the breeze pass through the windows on the oceanfront side of the room and exit through the windows on the jungle side, and listen to the wave’s crash.
If you are looking for even more privacy and independence, stay in the studio bedroom on the lower level of the home. It has a private courtyard entrance with a fountain that flows from the infinity pool on the level above. It also has its own kitchen, king-size bed, and a more contemporary feel, with mural-size original art by Abraham Valenzuela. The windows look down the throat of a creek, directly to the beach.
After you finish your day at the beach with the perfect sunset, watch Casa Sonrisa come to life with colorful Moroccan lamps blowing in the breeze. Entertain family or friends on your dining terrace overlooking the ocean. You can comfortably seat up to 10 at this beautifully hand made solid Guanacaste wood table. Find your “sonrisa” while dining under a chandelier of colorful glass—an original art fixture designed by Xyanna Bateau and made from the roots of a special jungle tree.
Surrounded by tropical nature on land and at sea, Las Catalinas is a beautiful, car-free, fully walkable beach town in Costa Rica. The purpose is to create a way of life that is healthy, sustainable, fulfilling, and fun. Definitely one of the most fun things to do at Las Catalinas is simply to explore the town. Most of the streets are made for people. Every little passage seems to lead to a beautiful plaza or a view of the ocean.
Playa Danta is one of the best body surfing and boogie boarding beaches you will ever find. Go at medium to low tides when the beach is very flat. The swells are typically moderate, safe, spaced 15 seconds apart, and perfectly formed. These waves are unlike anything many of us have seen in other parts of the world. Costa Rica has many famous surfing beaches but Las Catalinas is partially sheltered from the prevailing southern swell, and that is what makes Playa Danta “just right” for boogie boarding.
Some of the best snorkeling in Costa Rica is right at Las Catalinas. The best spots are wherever you see rocks: the far side of Playa Dantita, the reef in between Danta and Dantita, along the shore of Punta Penca, or out at the Islotes Pitahayas islands just offshore. You’ll find lots of reef fish, coral, interesting underwater topography, big spotted eagle rays, sea turtles, and who knows what else.
Kayaking and Paddle-Boarding
Las Catalinas is an ideal location for sea kayaking and stand up paddle-boarding. The protected bay of Playa Danta is perfect for beginners and often offers glassy smooth conditions. The Islotes Pitahayas just one kilometer offshore is a great destination with the swell surging dramatically on the rocks. The islands are a famous nesting site of pelicans and frigate birds. The coastline in both directions is dramatic and interesting with a variety of beautiful beaches, cliffs, and great snorkeling and swimming all within paddling range.
Yoga and Fitness
With an average temperature of 74 degrees year-round, Las Catalinas is the perfect place to get in a fitness groove. Whether it's weekly interval training classes, beachfront yoga under an almendro tree, or grab some weights, this is a mecca for athletes and yogis alike.
Shopping and Dining
In the shops of Las Catalinas, you’ll find everything you need to elevate your stay in town. Get outfitted to enjoy the town and outdoors, set a course to learn about ocean protection, bring home an unexpected Costa Rican gift, give some local life and flair to your home, or relax and take care of your body. It’s all here, and it’s all within a few minutes walk.
Guanacaste is quickly becoming a major player in Costa Rica’s culinary scene, and Las Catalinas offers some of the best options available just a few steps from your front door.
Located on a bluff overlooking the beach, Las Catalinas Beach Club is a central gathering spot for local residents and visitors to socialize, dine, exercise and enjoy an array of amenities for the whole family including:
- 25 Meter lap pool with four swim lanes
- Separate adult lounging pool and hot plunge pool
- Ample seating and comfortable lounge chairs
- Kids play pool
- Hot tub
- All-day dining at the Beach Club restaurant
- Cocktail bar
- Octagonal pavilion available for private events
- Exercise room with weightlifting and cardio equipment
- Master bedroom: King bed, en-suite bathroom
- Bedroom 2 (second master): King bed, en-suite bathroom
- Bedroom 3 (kids' suite): Single beds (2)
- Bedroom 4 (studio): King bed, bathroom
- Activities calendar
- Baranda a la carte Services
- Beach Club and gym access
- Cable TV
- Ceiling fans
- Covered patio
- High speed WiFi
- Lounge chairs
- Modern kitchen
- Open plan kitchen/living area
- Outdoor furniture
- Town & Surroundings Talk at Central
- Welcome juice + cold towels upon arrival, in house
- Playa Danta is only a 1-minute walk
- Infinity-edge swimming pool
Staff and Services
- Daily House Mom services
- Daily housekeeping services
- Personalized pre-arrival service from booking to arrival
- Villa manager
- Security guard - 24 hours
Staff and Services (at additional cost)
- Grocery pre-stocking
- Chef service
- International airport: 45-minute drive
- Town of Potrero: 5-minute drive
- Golf: 45-minute drive
- Grocery store: 5-minute drive in Potrero
- Greenhouse restaurant: 1-minute walk
- Clinic: 45-minute drive
- Liberia Hospital: 90-minute drive
- Church Potrero: 5-minute drive
- Check in: 2:00 pm
- Check out: 10:00 am
Additional Villa Notes
- Because Las Catalinas is a growing community, guests should expect construction in the surrounding areas. Efforts are being made to minimize any possible disturbances to guests due to construction. Current construction hours and regulations are: From 6:00 AM - 7:30 AM, construction may begin, with workers required to speak in low voices and no power tools are allowed. From 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM are normal construction hours. From 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM, construction may continue, with workers required to speak in low voices and no power tools are allowed.