OverviewThe buzz throughout St. John and in the world of luxury villas is all about the impressive scale and the barefoot elegance of À La Mer!
Waterfront on Great Cruz Bay, this magnificent, recently completed estate holds court within an oasis of stately palm trees, boasting what is probably the largest private pool on St. John.
Within the sun-kissed world of À La Mer, the main villa takes center stage, embraced by the aquamarine pool and the pool cabana, and bordered by a faux white-sand beach set with chaise lounges and a fire pit brazier. The expansive, fully air-conditioned, two-story main villa features seven bedroom/bath suites and a beautifully-proportioned great room graced with high-arched windows and artistic stonework crafted in the classic St. John style. White, slipcovered, sink-into sofas and chairs are grouped around the great room to accommodate a large party, and a mahogany dining table for 14 is flanked by a stunning model yacht in full sail. Adjoining the great room on the other side of the tiled entry foyer is the large gourmet kitchen with a Viking range, a center island, lots of countertop space for several cooks, and a convenient pass-through window to the outdoor poolside dining area. The kitchen area also offers a wet bar with a beverage cooler and ice machine; behind that is a powder room looking into a walled garden.
Beyond the spacious kitchen is the blue family room, a cheerful space for lounging with a large flat-screen TV and a table for cards or games. Screened French doors open out to the front of the house from the family room, to À La Mer's outside front patio, which features a bubbling fountain. On the other side of the family room, more French doors lead out to patios and pool. A hallway leads past the large laundry room to two of À La Mer's king bedroom/bath suites, both of which offer generous en-suite baths and screened French doors opening outside to small, covered patios and to the pool beyond.
Twin mahogany staircases ascend from either side of the family room to À La Mer's upper floor, where five more air-conditioned bedroom/suites overlook the pool and majestic yachts riding at anchor on sparkling Great Cruz Bay. These suites all enjoy central air-conditioning, large en-suite baths tiled in charming designs, and each has its own balcony accessed via screened French doors. One of these five upstairs suites is À La Mer's master suite, a larger suite with a king four-poster bed, a private, roofed patio with seating, and a spacious bath. The sumptuous master bath features a double vanity, a separate water closet with a bidet, and a semi-al fresco double shower clad in glass tile and travertine. The other four suites have romantic four-poster king beds and ensuite baths; the corner suite has a tiled semi-al fresco shower. Two of these suites have a connecting door between them, perfect for parents who wish to be near their children. At the top of one staircase is an alcove with a desk with a printer and a two-twin trundle bed for extra guests.
Outside the main villa on the Great Cruz Bay side is À La Mer's shaded poolside terrace, furnished with plush upholstered seating for watching the kids in the pool, reading or napping, and a large, round table under a roofed pergola for al fresco meals. The pass-through from the kitchen is incorporated into an adjoining counter lined with bar stools. This expansive outdoor living area, where you'll want to spend most of your time, also has two gas grills—one of them built into a charming garden patio—a ping-pong table for family championship competitions and a deck lined with cushioned chaise lounges for sun worshippers. The pool is absolutely spectacular! It has a four-inch deep shallow shelf, perfect for sun loungers and for small children, a waterfall, and is bordered on the ocean side with a "beach," a strip of white sand set with more chaise lounges and a stone fire pit. The pool also features a swim-up bar with underwater bar stools at the pool cabana, a wonderful poolside entertainment pavilion with large-screen cable TV and DVD player, plus a wet bar with icemaker, beverage cooler and dishwasher. An electronic shutter rolls down at a touch of a button to secure the pool cabana when not being used. The pool cabana also has a handy powder room and outside shower. For experienced divers, there is access from the coral-and-sand waterfront into Great Cruz Bay for snorkeling.
À La Mer's cottage is off to the side of the main villa, and on its upper level, offers a secluded fully-air-conditioned apartment suite, complete with a full kitchen, a bedroom with two queen beds and bath, a double-twin trundle bed in the living area, and a porch outside covered by latticework. The estate's ninth bedroom is on the ground level; a cozy and simple air-conditioned bedroom and bath with two twin beds. The cottage's garage contains beach chairs, coolers, and a washer and dryer for your convenience.
Situated on over an acre of waterfront land, behind an electronic gate landscaped with tropical flowers and graceful royal, foxtail and coconut palm trees, spectacular À La Mer's large-scale design and execution is an artful combination of both colonial West Indies and classic St. John, incorporating French antique terra cotta roof tiles, St. John shell and stonework, aged brick, all melded to create stunning exteriors and inside, a pleasing floorplan which flows easily and provides lots of space for everyone's comfort. Every handsome custom detail—lovely tile design throughout, cypress ceilings, designer island decor, artisan lighting, botanical art prints, and a bounty of excellent features and amenities for guests' enjoyment—make luxurious yet beach-casual À La Mer a unique and matchless Caribbean villa experience for families and friends. Five brilliant stars, and more!
“Great for families! This nine-bedroom, waterfront paradise has a huge pool. You can swim to the beach at the Westin from here if you are adventurous!” ―,
- Main Villa: Seven kings, two-twin trundle bed in upstairs alcove
- Cottage: Two queens in upper apartment bedroom, plus a two-twin trundle bed in upper apartment's living room; and a small two-twin bedroom on cottage's garden level.
- Seven full baths in main villa and two in cottage
- Two powder rooms (one off the kitchen in main villa and one in pool cabana)
- Master bath has semi-al fresco double shower and a bidet; upper corner suite's bath is semi-al fresco
- Two outside showers
- Answering machine
- Baby equipment (crib, nylon Pack 'n' Play crib/playpen, highchair, baby monitor and assorted toys)
- Beverage cooler
- Blu-Ray player
- Bose speakers
- Cable TV
- CD player
- Dining patio
- DSL line
- Full central air-conditioning
- Gourmet kitchen
- iPod dock
- Movie collection
- Music collection
- Sirius satellite radio
- Two dishwashers
- Two ovens
- Three dryers
- Three washing machines
- Viking 6-burner stove
- Wet bar with icemaker
- IN COTTAGE:
- Full air-conditioning
- Complete kitchen
- Great Cruz Bay Beach
- Irregular pool shape; at widest: 64 feet x 46 feet x 3 feet - 4 feet deep, with waterfall, shallow 4-inch pool shelf for small children and swim-up bar. Pool cabana with cable TV and DVD player, wet bar, ice-maker, dishwasher, outside shower and powder room.
Staff and Services
- Housekeeping four times per week (except on Sundays and holidays).
- One to 14 guests (using seven bedrooms, with possibly two additional guests—who must be children under 16 years only—using the upstairs alcove's two-twin trundle bed, at an additional $420 per child, per week) will have use of the main villa only. The use of A La Mer's cottage apartment suite and the small two-twin bedroom can be added to the main villa for additional guests - see rates. THE COTTAGE IS NEVER RENTED SEPARATELY TO ANOTHER PARTY.
- Children are most welcome! Liability waiver required for children under age 7, prior to arrival. See amenities section, above, for baby gear available at À La Mer.
- Smoking is not permitted in the house
Additional Villa Notes
- A 7-night minimum at full Thanksgiving rate required on all rentals which occur during any portion of the Thanksgiving holiday week.
- Rates are based on the highest occupany level during the stay.
- 4pm Check-In