OverviewCielo Mar is located in Peninsula Papagayo, a private luxury resort sanctuary that jots out into the Pacific Ocean in Costa Rica's north-west province of Guanacaste.
With the Pacific Ocean to the west and a pond and world-class Arnold Palmer golf course to the east of the villa, the site design of the property focuses the views toward the ocean. The property faces the ocean from the vantage point of a promontory and cliff three hundred feet above sea level.
The villa provides views for all primary spaces: a salon large enough for a dining table and a bar, six bedrooms, two private studies, media room/home theater, the gym, laundry room, the kitchen, and a two-bedroom caretaker apartment with separate entrance and mechanical systems located beneath the two garages. This was achieved by curving the house in a semi-circle around a radial point in front of the bridge so that each room has a slightly shifted view of the ocean to the west and headlands visible to the north and south.
The "bow and arrow" design of the house—with the bow as the house and the arrow as the entry ramp and bridge—affords complete privacy to the large sunken courtyard terrace with pool and all rooms. Air-conditioned interior spaces open to the ocean views, as well as a large exterior, covered loggia that functions as an outdoor living room to enjoy Costa Rica’s famous warm and mild weather while being protected from the equatorial sun. The house steps down the cliff toward the ocean, presenting a modest one-story semi-circle form to the street and golf course, yet accommodating three-floor levels on the ocean side.
Organizing the levels downward and outward into the face of the cliff also presented the opportunity to cantilever the infinity-edge pool out over the edge of the terrace, creating the dramatic illusion of swimming three hundred feet above the ocean. A similar effect is created with a bridge or viewing platform that visually connects the upper level with the water, flying 16 feet above the pool beyond the edge of the terrace. Standing at the end of the bridge gives one the impression of soaring above the jungle and the ocean. The bridge points to where the sun dips below the ocean horizon each evening, making the end of the bridge the best location for cocktail hour. The bridge also provides shade for part of the deck and the large outdoor dining table.
Placing the 90-foot long pool cantilevered at the edge of the terrace satisfies the need for a barrier so that the ocean view is unencumbered by a guardrail. The Olympic-size pool is lined with charcoal-black volcanic lava stone, imparting a deep blue color to the water. At times it is difficult to distinguish the edge of the pool from the blue Pacific Ocean beyond.
The master bedroom suite is entered from the main terrace, the loggia, or through one of the master studies via a private reading room. A unique feature of the master suite is a completely private, sunken Zen garden with an outdoor shower, which opens off the master bathroom. This creates an exotic retreat in which to bathe and relax.
- Master Bedroom: King-size bed, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, safe, music system, iPod charger, private sitting area with couch, walk-in closet, direct access to deck, blackout curtains
- Bedroom 2 (upper level): Queen-size bed, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, blackout curtains
- Bedroom 3 (upper level): Queen-size bed, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, blackout curtains
- Bedroom 4 (lower level): Queen-size bed, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, blackout curtains
- Bedroom 5 (lower level): Queen-size bed, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, blackout curtains, safe
- Bedroom 6 (lower level): Twin beds, en-suite bath, air-conditioning, flat-screen TV, blackout curtains, safe
- *Second bedroom with bath in staff quarters may be used for guests' own staff or security
- Air-conditioning throughout entire villa - each bedroom has own custom control
- Alarm clocks
- Beach towels
- Bicycles (7)
- Board games
- Boogie boards (6)
- Cable and internet-enabled TVs
- DVD player and movie library
- Entertainment room
- Fitness room
- Flat-screen TVs (in all bedrooms, home theater and both offices)
- Full access to Four Seasons golf, tennis, restaurants and beach club
- Fully-equipped gourmet kitchen
- Golf carts (2)
- Golf clubs (2 sets)
- High-speed internet WiFi
- Ironing board/iron
- Kayaks (2)
- Life jackets (2)
- Ping-pong table
- Pool table (in golf club house)
- Sound system
- Snorkeling equipment (masks, fins, snorkels)
- Surfboards (2)
- Two outdoor showers
- Two private offices
- Wet suits (6)
- Xbox gaming consoles (games not provided)
- The closest beach is within a few minutes drive (31 beaches on Peninsula Papagayo)
- 90-foot long, infinity-edge pool
Staff and Services
- On-site (daily) housekeeper and caretaker
- Cook - prepares breakfast, lunch and dinner (cost of food is additional)
- 45 minutes from Coco and Liberia
- 20 minutes to a hospital (but Four Seasons has a 24-hour doctor on-site)
- The Prieta Beach Club - 5-minute golf cart ride
- 30 minutes (40Km) from Costa Rica’s Liberia International Airport (Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport)
- Maximum 10 people
- Children welcome
- Free access to The Prieta Beach Club which is a short 5-minute golf cart ride away and is below Cielo Mar. The Beach Club includes 3 restaurants, a bar, spa, 3 pools, an activity center, a large variety of water activities, and plenty of beach chairs.
- Nearby Four Seasons where guests can make reservations at the restaurant, spa, golf and tennis.