OverviewAn electronic gate ushers you into Estate Belvedere's magnificent four acres, past a fenced formal garden with a fountain, and back into a part of St. Croix's Danish history of centuries past.
The centerpiece of this Estate is the sugar mill dating back to 1763, a place where sugar cane was refined into precious sugar and the molasses into Cruzan rum; other ruins of the old plantation still grace this lovely island property. Extensive historical research was done by the current owners in both St. Croix and Danish archives, and after several years of careful and loving restoration, Estate Belvedere is now receiving guests fortunate enough to enjoy its unique history, spectacular landscaping on spacious grounds, and its beautiful interiors.
The sugar mill is the central gathering place for everyone. The entry into the mill opens to an art gallery in the round, complete with the old Danish brick floor, showcasing the owners' collection of Caribbean art and historical memorabilia. A powder room with a handpainted tropical mural is tucked off to the side. Built to encompass the curve of the sugar mill are the living area, gourmet kitchen and home office area, which open through french doors onto an expansive terrace looking out to the sea, set with cushioned furniture for the cocktail hour and lazy stargazing when night falls. A covered pavilion is just off the kitchen on this terrace, with a handy pass-through/bar to the kitchen for easy serving, providing a shaded, cool spot for alfresco dining.
Three air-conditioned bedroom/bath suites on two levels of the mill (named Sunrise, Hibiscus and Jungle Suites) offer luxurious privacy. Outside, a staircase winds up and around the sugar mill to its very top and to spectacular long-distance vistas in every direction. A handpainted mural maps the islands you see in the distance from this high vantage point. Off to one side of the Estate are old plantation ruins of long ago where vivid bougainvillea now bloom; part of this area has been made into a lovely patio for conversation or quiet reading, where cool tradewinds prevail.
Estate Belvedere's extensive and beautifully-preserved ruins include a classic Caribbean welcoming arms staircase and graceful arches framing the lush gardens, providing a fascinating look at sturdy Danish stonework done over 200 years ago. Accessed via one of the old stone staircases is the Tower Building, a modern two-story pavilion with two very spacious, air-conditioned bedroom/bath suites (Ocean and Coral Suites), each suite with a large living area, a full kitchen and two queen beds. These colorful and completely equipped suites are perfect for family privacy, and further enhance the child-friendly nature of the Estate.
Just beyond is the Garden Cottage, built as a new extension of the ruins; its entry patio incorporates some of the old stone rubble walls. This air-conditioned and very private suite also offers a sitting room with a small kitchen and a queen bedroom. Chad, the Estate's caretaker, lives close to the entrance in a removed, separate cottage. Walkways connect the buildings and the ruins, meandering under tall, shady trees, past fruit trees and glorious tropical gardens fenced by elegant wrought iron, displaying riots of vivid flowers and exotic plants, and through green manicured lawns.
The Pool House, the generous swimming pool and the air-conditioned home gym are situated beyond the sugar mill and Tower Building; the pool area and surrounding lawn are screened by trees and shrubbery for complete privacy.
Estate Belvedere is a masterpiece, an important bookmark in St. Croix's colorful history. Every modern convenience and amenity is here, the decor is today's classic Caribbean, but the spirit of early island days prevails. A perfect place for families or for building more memories with close friends, time spent within this elegant Estate will be relished and remembered by all fortunate enough to find this very special property.
- Bedroom # 1 Sugar Mill Main House: Sunrise Suite, king bed, shower, air conditioning
- Bedroom # 2 Sugar Mill Main House: Mill-Jungle suite, queen bed, shower, air conditioning
- Bedroom # 3 Sugar Mill Main House: Mill-Hibiscus suite, king bed, shower, air conditioning
- Bedroom # 4 Tower Building: 2 queen beds, shower, air conditioning, large living area, kitchen
- Bedroom # 5 Tower Building: 2 queen beds, shower, air conditioning, large living area, kitchen
- Bedroom # 6 Garden Cottage: Queen bed, shower, air conditioning, sitting room, small kitchen, + 1 twin roll-away on request
- 6.5 Bathrooms plus half bath located off main room in Sugar Mill
- Air Conditioning
- Books, games for children + adults, croquet, puzzles, movie + music collections
- Cable/Satellite TV
- CD Player
- Gourmet Kitchen
- Gym - air conditioned, treadmill, free weights, multi-purpose workout system
- Ice cream maker
- Internet Access (WiFi)
- Wine cooler
- + 3 more fully-equipped kitchens (in both Tower Bldg. Suites + in Garden Cottage
- 2 nylon Pack 'n' Play crib/playpens + 1 highchair
- Cane Bay Beach + Carambola Beach (5 minutes' drive past Cane Bay)
- 20' x 50' x 3' - 6' deep, with Pool House
- Hammock by pool
- Pool house and changing area with full bath
Staff and Services
- Housekeeping: once per week.
- For a property as large as Estate Belvedere, it is necessary to ensure adequate time between rentals to allow the staff to make the villa perfect. So, rentals where there are guests both departing and arriving on the same date will be considered on a case by case basis; please inquire!
- Estate Belvedere's caretaker, Chad, occupies another cottage on this 4-acre historic plantation. Chad is on property for your convenience, should you have questions or problems, but of course, your complete privacy is always assured at Estate Belvedere.
- 200+-year old historic ruins on property, including the Sugar Mill with its staircase to 360-degree viewing deck at top of Mill
- No smoking
- Square Footage: Interiors: approx. 8400 sq. ft., on 4 acres (2 acres are landscaped)
- *1 to 6 persons have the use of the 3 bedroom/bath suites in the Sugar Mill Main House only. 13th + 14th persons sleep on 2nd queen bed in the Ocean and/or Coral Suite - or 1 twin rollaway bed is also available.
- ***RULES AND RATES FOR EVENTS AT ESTATE BELVEDERE: A maximum of 50 people may attend the function; only 16 people may stay overnight at the house. The full house weekly rate based on seasonal rates will be charged. . A $1,500.00 surcharge to cover extra expenses: house cleaning, utilities, etc. This is due with the final payment. A refundable damage deposit of $500.00 is due with final rental payment. Guests are liable for any and all damages associated with the function. All functions must be held at least 2 days before departure. Complete details including catering plans must be provided to the property manager at least 2 weeks prior to the function. The guests and their event planner are responsible for placement of tables, chairs, decorations, break down and return of said items, the property manager is not available for such duties. Guests and their wedding planner are responsible for clean up of the property. Extra clean up, if necessary, will be deducted from the security deposit.
Additional Villa Notes
- A 7-night minimum at full Thanksgiving rate required on all rentals which occur during any portion of the Thanksgiving holiday week.
- Rates are based on the highest occupany level during the stay.
- 4pm Check-In